Friday 12 July 2013

Evaluation.

PERFORMANCE DAY



The morning of the performance we ran 3 rehearsals. The first rehearsal no one gave there all, the energy wasn't at it's highest and the transitions didn't run smoothly but having said that about the transitions, it was also our first time rehearsing in the actual performance space, so it was difficult getting things exactly right. 
The second rehearsal was the same as the first and no one was really taking it seriously enough, the concentration wasn't there in either rehearsals and it affected the energy and effort put into the scenes. We could of all over come this by being more strict on ourselves and pushing our ability to its highest as if it was the real thing. 
In the final rehearsal I released all would run smoothly and good until we got to the reluctant beauty bit, that's when everybody would kind of hold back and Will could see this so we had to keep on re running the scenes from that bit. In the end we all pushed ourselves and got the whole rehearsal process done to our standards and Will was happy with it.

When performing the piece I think everybody put in effort, commitment and pushed them selves. This was shown by how well the transitions ran and even if the audience didn't get the story they was still engaged because our energy was too it's highest and our faces looked like we was enjoying the show ourselves. I think the performance ran well also because the mistakes we made during rehearsals we all learnt from them and took them on to make them better, we all knew what our weak points where and it wasn't shown. One of my weak points in the rehearsal process was 'the reluctant beauty' bit as it was hard to let my body go without controlling it and pose in deranged shapes trying to be beautiful because in my head I thought people would laugh at me and it's also difficult not controlling what your doing or how you move. But by building up my confidence and watching everybody else, I found it more easy to let myself go and in the performance you couldn't tell that was my weak point.

You could see in the performance how the mood gradually changed, from the begging everything being like a routine and having formations like a military like way, which showed us trying to be perfect and being all the same. Then as the scenes went on and we was more discovering what 'Other' is we more become individuals and done different things too each other rather than doing everything in sync.

One of the challenges we came across during the performance was blocking the audience, for example when we was up on the loft stairs I think I could of bent down lower so the audience could see what I was doing to daisy and see the person infront of me. So we just had to be more aware of where the audience was and sometimes even have eye contact with them when performing, to feel like there included in what's happening.

The strongest scene that was created in the piece would be the grid walking, because the 90 degree turns where sharp and swift and if someone walked into another person by accident they didn't show the mistake on their face, they would either 'jump' or 'wave' then move on. The vocal range was also good as everybody was clear with their dialogue 'ohh ahh' and also Alex and I saying 'Boomba' and 'Gigoo.' When devising that scene Alex and I couldn't remember the words we had to say because it wasn't English, it was made up. So to remind us Hannah being the director of that scene wrote down the words and from each rehearsal the word became familiar and was easy to remember.

The piece was intended to show how people who are different from a stereotypical human being are treated in society. We showed this by reversing the roles and having everybody else 'different' and 'Other' being a typical 'normal' civilian. I thought this was a good concept and way to show how different people may be portrayed because if the roles where reversed then there would be no issue. In the performance you see 'Other' going growing up and being chucked into the everyday life; trying to find a job, being left on her own, people judging her, people interested in her. I feel like what the piece was intended to do was achieved and the audience understood and could view how things look if you look at them from a different perspective. 

 To improve my contribution I would of had more of a voice in class and rehearsals, sharing my ideas more and taking on more of a directors point of view by looking at our weak points and telling my piers them. I also would've pushed myself more when it came to my confidence level.
In the begging of the project it was slightly intimidating with Hannah and I being the only pair and everybody else being in groups, also us being community arts everybody looked to us when it came to community arts questions, but telling hearing what they had to say about it aswel they had a clear understanding. As the lessons went on my confidence did build up but not as much as I knew it could and this was something I wish I had changed. 

Overall the whole community project term was good and as a team the ideas, contribution, skills and different abilities all came together well and our final performance was everything to our expectations.


No comments:

Post a Comment